Kansas Car Insurance Laws

Learn how much property and bodily liability insurance is required to operate a motorized vehicle in Kansas. Discover if you have proper coverage and if not what the penalties and fines are for continuing to drive without the minimum insurance coverage ...     read more

Free Kansas Auto Insurance Quote

Quote Bullet Provide basic information on your car.
Quote Bullet We search our extensive network of agents.
Quote Bullet You receive an instant, no-hassle quote!
Quote Bullet It's fast, free & there's absolutely no obligation.
Start by entering the zip code of where you park at night:
Btn Getmyquote2

Department of Insurance Contact Information

Kansas Dept. of Insurance
420 SW 9th St.
Topeka, KS 66612

Consumer Hotline

1-785-296-3071 or
Toll Free: 1-800-432-2484

State Department Website


File Complaint Website


State Regulation

Liability coverage is required in Kansas for all vehicles. Your policy must provide at least $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $10,000 per accident for property damage.

Personal injury coverage also has required minimums. In Kansas, all drivers must have policies which cover $4,500 per person for medical expenses, $900 per month for a year of disability or loss of income, $25 a day for in-home services, $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation fees, and $4,500 to cover rehabilitation expenses.

Uninsured/underinsured coverage coverage also is mandated. Your policy must cover $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for uninsured and underinsured drivers.

While these are the mandatory minimums most experts agree that these amounts are just the starting point for drivers. Most drivers should carefully consider whether these amounts will provide enough coverage. In fact, most insurance experts say that property damage liability insurance of $1 million is much more appropriate than just the required $10,000. You might be surprised at how affordable the difference between the two coverage levels is. Be sure to ask your insurance company for a comprehensive quote.

Insurance is NOT required on:

Off-highway vehicles

Non-registered nonoperational vehicles


If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer in Kansas, you may be asked to show proof of insurance or financial security. Failure to show either will result in the officer issuing a citation, which states guiltiness of a class B misdemeanor and involves paying a fine between $300-$1,000 dollars. Failure to make payment will result in a six-month stay at the county jail.

The second time you are caught without proof of financial responsibility (within three years of the last citation), you will be guilty of a class A misdemeanor and have to pay between $800-$2,500. Moreover, you may face loss of your vehicle registration and suspension of your driver's license. You will have to show proof of insurance coverage (such as an SR-22, or a form filed by the insurance company certifying coverage) and pay reinstatement fees to regain both items.

Requirements Regarding Proof of car insurance: Proof Required - When Obtaining Registration, If Involved In An Accident, If Stopped By Authorities When Driving

Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: Fine up to $1000 fine plus jail term up to six months

Min Coverage:

$25,000 for injury/death to one person

$50,000 for injury to more than one person

$10,000 for damage to property

Blank R