Arkansas Car Insurance Laws

Learn how much property and bodily liability insurance is required to operate a motorized vehicle in Arkansas. Discover if you have proper coverage and if not what the penalties and fines are for continuing to drive without the minimum insurance coverage ...     read more

Free Arkansas Auto Insurance Quote

Quote Bullet Provide basic information on your car.
Quote Bullet We search our extensive network of agents.
Quote Bullet You receive an instant, no-hassle quote!
Quote Bullet It's fast, free & there's absolutely no obligation.
Start by entering the zip code of where you park at night:
Btn Getmyquote2

Department of Insurance Contact Information

Arkansas Insurance Dept. / Consumer Services Division
1200 W. Third St.
Little Rock, AR 72201

Consumer Hotline

1-501-371-2600 or
Toll Free: 1-800-282-9134

State Department Website

File Complaint Website

State Regulation

Whether you drive a motorcycle, SUV, truck or van, you must have liability insurance coverage. There are some exemptions for travelers to the state and those who have recently moved to Arkansas.

Insurance coverage must meet certain minimums: In Arkansas, the minimum levels of insurance required are $25,000 bodily liability, $25,000 property and $50,000 total per accident.

Minimum liability insurance is required: If requested by a peace officer, you must surrender proof of insurance for your vehicle or you could suffer penalties. Most officers will ask for proof of insurance when stopping your vehicle for another possible infraction.

Insurance Proof is State-Regulated: Insurance companies report their auto policies to the state with information to match the policy to the vehicle. They also notify the state immediately if there is a lapse or cancellation in the insurance policy. If the state receives notice that your policy is no longer active for any reason, you will receive notification that you must quickly remedy the situation with proof or the vehicle's registration will be suspended. If you are no longer driving the vehicle or no longer own it, you should notify the Office of Motor Vehicles in addition to the policy cancellation that comes in from the insurance company.

Insurance is NOT required on:

Off-highway vehicles

Non-registered nonoperational vehicles


Fine of up to $250 for a first offense, and increasing in severity for subsequent offenses potentially up to a fine of $1000 and or 1 year jail time

You risk the suspension of your vehicle registration if you fail to provide proof of your auto insurance policy at the time of an accident or during a traffic stop. You will need to prove you have the required auto insurance coverage for the state of Arkansas before the suspension will be removed.

Requirements Regarding Proof of Insurance: Proof Required - When Obtaining Registration

Penalties For Not Carrying Mandatory Insurance: Fine up to $250

Min Coverage:

$25,000 for injury/death to one person

$50,000 for injury to more than one person

$25,000 for damage to property

Blank R